Kadayawan Festival 2012 in Davao City: 30T tourists expected during Kadayawan: exec
THE Davao City Investment Promotions Center (DCIPC) is expecting around 20,000 to 30,000 tourists to visit Davao City for the Kadayawan Festival in August.
DCIPC chief Jason Magnaye said the influx of more tourists in Davao City could drive the economic activity upward.
Are you planning on visiting the Kadayawan Festival 2012 this August? Why not check our affordable 3 Days 2 Nights Davao City Tour Package.
The city can at least earn P225 million especially with the number of tourists visiting the city during the festivities.
Magnaye announced that the Kadayawan highlight would be on the 24th of August. This will make August 20 to 26 the highlight week, as well as the “most-lively week” for this year’s celebration of Kadayawan Festival.
“That’s what we requested. Also, the second to the last Friday will be declared as a holiday,” he said.
“Apparently, there are five Fridays for the month of August. Ang mga tao nalilito because (The people got confused) they thought the Kadayawan falls on the third week of August,” he added.
Meanwhile, DCIPC is planning to hold a selling mission to promote the city’s tourism, information and communications technology industry, and real estate developments to the local market of Singapore in July this year.
Magnaye said he sees the selling mission as a marketing campaign to crank up the number of foreign tourists, and not only the domestic market.
“We want to get more passengers flying to Davao, not the passengers flying out to Singapore,” he said, adding that this new undertaking will hopefully retain the route going to Davao.
The SilkAir and Tiger Airways, two of the Lion City’s low-cost airlines are still offering flights from the city to Singapore and vice versa.
“We want to make sure that these flights will remain,” he added.
To recall, the official said in previous reports that 90 percent of the total tourists arrivals last year were from domestic, while the other 10 percent were foreign.
In 2011, DCIPC noted around 700,000 tourist arrivals in Davao.
Magnaye would like to hold selling mission also to promote Davao as an ICT destination.
“To promote ICT to some of the businesses in Singapore that they may want to look into Davao for their service outsourcing,” he said, adding this would further boost the business process outsourcing industry here.
It was reported earlier that there are four multinational firms who signified interest in building facilities here.
Magnaye added he is planning to market the real estate sector from here in their selling mission to Singapore, saying that they are targeting the overseas Filipino workers as market.
“We’re also planning to bring with us some local developers who might want to share major developments. We want to show them where Davao is, especially those who are from here. Developments in terms of property development are concerned,” he said.
Tour Package to Davao City Philippines: 3 Days 2 Nights Davao City Tour Package Philippines
The schedule as to how long the selling mission will be is yet to be finalized.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on May 13, 2012.
By Antonio L. Colina IV
Saturday, May 12, 2012